Skip to main content

Information for deaf and hard of hearing students

Find out more information from Disability Services about how disabled students are supported at the University of Leeds.

What Support is available to me?

Students at the University of Leeds who are deaf or hard of hearing can access a range of support services, subject to availability and suitability, without applying for any additional funding. These include:

  • receiving handouts and lecture presentations in advance
  • access to campus-based computers with assistive technology (including text-to-speech, mind-mapping and magnification software)
  • the loan of equipment (for example, digital voice recorders, radio aids, vibrating fire-alarm pager, or a vibrating pad or flashing light for your accommodation)
  • adaptations to University accommodation
  • alternative examination arrangements, such as extra time or modified language papers
  • extended library loans.

To access a range of other support services, students are likely to need to apply for additional funding, such as Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA). Depending on your needs, these services could include:

  • one-to-one learning strategy support
  • specialist mentor and/or personal assistant and/or note-taker support
  • sign language interpreters.

Support is available throughout the year, and is not restricted to University teaching terms.

How do I get support?

No two support packages are the same, contact Disability Services to find out what support is available to you. Disability Services offers specialist support for disabled students, liaison with academic departments, sign language interpreting and alternative examination arrangements, extended library loans, the loan of equipment and adaptations to University accommodation. They can also advise you on sources of funding and help you fill in the forms.

To get in touch with Disability Services you can:

Are there other things I should do?

We advise students who are deaf or hard of hearing to:

  • Inform your department, if you feel comfortable doing so, especially if you may need adjustments to your teaching and learning arrangements.
  • Contact the University’s Accommodation Services as early as possible if you are likely to have any access requirements in relation to your University-owned accommodation.
  • Familiarise yourself with the University’s computer systems and find out what information and resources are available through the online student portal, Minerva.
  • Check out the range of useful assistive technology tools available to help you with academic and pastoral issues.
  • Familiarise yourself with the library systems and buildings.
  • Prepare before lectures, wherever possible, using reading lists and teaching materials such as lecture handouts.
  • Start academic work well in advance – it may take you longer to complete written work than other people on your course.
  • Speak to your department or Disability Services as soon as possible if you encounter any difficulties.

Whilst Disability Services and your department will work to support you throughout your time at Leeds, you will need to participate fully in the support that is offered to you to make it work. In particular if you feel that your support requirements change at any time, then it is important that you let Disability Services and your department know.

What other support is available to me on campus?

Other sources of information and support for students who are deaf or hard of hearing are available, including:

Leeds University Library which is committed to making its libraries and services accessible to all, with accessible study spaces, help with finding and borrowing items, and accessible training sessions, inductions and tours. Find out more about the services and support available for disabled students from the library.

In person: at any enquiry desk
Phone: 0113 343 5663

Study and Research Support for taught students on academic skills is available from Skills@Library, including support for students to develop academic skills, within the curriculum and through online resources, workshops, 1-2-1 appointments and drop-in sessions.

Accommodation Services can advise deaf and hard of hearing students who have specific accommodation requirements. They are familiar with such requests and will take them into consideration when allocating student accommodation. For students who are experiencing problems in their University of Leeds accommodation, the hall wardens are available for help and advice.

The Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service is available to support you at times of any emotional, psychological or mental health difficulties. The service also aims to promote emotional wellbeing by offering a variety of activities designed to enhance students' coping skills during potentially stressful situations, with an increasing emphasis on using preventative measures.
Phone: 0113 343 4107

Leeds University Union (LUU) provides student help and support offers. Its advice centre provides independent, confidential and free information, advice and representation from professional advisors covering money, housing and immigration, plus academic and other University procedures.
Phone: 0113 380 1400

Students are advised to register with a local GP, for example through the Leeds Student Medical Practice. Staff at this practice are experienced at dealing with students and have knowledge of the University systems and procedures

What other support is available to me in Leeds?

There is a thriving Deaf community in the city, in addition to groups for people who are hard of hearing or deafblind. Leeds Society for Deaf and Blind People provides information about local and national organisations including social clubs, interpreters and audio transcription services.