We are keen to ensure that Muslim staff and students are supported to observe Ramadan during this period of social distancing.
- If you are a Muslim staff member or student who is fasting whilst studying or working from home you should ensure that you are taking regular breaks. You may wish to consider taking your lunch break at a different time or shifting your start time and finish time.
- Please note that access to the Islamic prayer areas referenced below will be restricted according to current public health guidance.
The University has many Muslim students and staff. We are very keen to provide a safe and inclusive environment, and facilities and arrangements to ensure that they are able to observe Ramadan alongside their studying, working and living on campus. The arrangements we have in place include the following:
- Students can request alternative exam arrangements and the Exams team will make every effort to meet these preferences. To make a request specifying your preference for exam times that fall during Ramadan and Eid, please complete and submit the notification of religious commitments form by Friday 21 February 2020.
- There are two main Islamic prayer areas currently available: the Green Room, located beside the Edge Sports Centre and Cemetery Lodge, which is adjacent to the Faculty of Engineering buildings. The rooms are open 24 hours a day over Ramadan. Access to the Green Room and Cemetery Lodge is controlled by key codes and these can be requested from email@example.com.
- You can find the prayer times for Jummuah (Friday congregational prayers) on campus here.
- The University’s Chaplaincy Team offers support to staff and students.
- The University’s Muslim Student Adviser, Farhat Yaqoob, offers information, advice, guidance and support. She can be contacted on 0771 370 7857 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facilities and services are available nearby at the Grand Mosque in Leeds.
- Advice, support and guidance is also available to managers, staff and students from the Equality Policy Unit on 0113 343 6973 or at email@example.com