Over recent years, the University has worked closely with our active LGBT+ Staff Network, Students’ Union Officers, and colleagues across the organisation to progress LGBT+ inclusion. This has resulted in a number of positive outcomes, including:
- A University Trans Equality Policy and supporting guidance
- The provision of Gender Neutral Toilets (GNTs) in every building on campus
- The introduction of trans awareness training for staff
- Successful events to mark national awareness days, e.g. LGBT+ STEM Day, National Coming Out Day, LGBT+ History Month, etc.
In order to ensure we have the best resources and guidance to further progress our LGBT+ inclusion work, the University has joined Stonewall’s Diversity Champions Programme. Stonewall are the UK’s leading lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) rights charity. In becoming a Diversity Champion, we join over 80 Higher Education Institutions dedicated to progressing LGBT+ inclusion, with whom we can share ideas and best practice.
As staff members, you will also have access to a number of benefits, including:
- A library of research and best practice guides focused on LGBT+ inclusion;
- A named contact who can provide tailored support and resources on a range of LGBT+ inclusion matters;
- Regular opportunities to attend events, seminars and webinars, all designed to help you further support our LGBT+ staff and students; and
- The use of the Stonewall Diversity Champions logo (download the above image) on University recruitment and marketing materials, and in your email signatures– signalling our commitment to potential students and staff.
Emily Towler, Co-Chair of the University’s LGBT+ Staff Network, said:
It’s great to see the University collaborating with Stonewall to support LGBT+ inclusion here at Leeds. Having this support and resource will enable us to focus on a number of priority actions over the next year that will have a significant impact on our LGBT+ community.
EPU will work with colleagues on specific LGBT+ initiatives over the next 12 months. We hope that you will continue to support the University in creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
To access the membership benefits, please email the Equality & Inclusion Unit at email@example.com or call us on x36662