What is the Women at Leeds Network (WALN)?
We are a network for women at the University of Leeds. We aim to:
- Support women’s personal and professional development at the University of Leeds
- Advance gender equality at the University by removing barriers that prevent women from achieving their potential
- Promote communication, networking and mutual support among women at Leeds.
What does the Women at Leeds Network do?
The main activities of our network are:
- Organising regular events that explore issues relevant to gender equality
- Maintaining a Teams space for online conversations and information sharing
- Advocating for gender equality at the University and raising members’ concerns
- Contributing to University initiatives on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI).
In the 2021/22 academic year, we’re focusing our activities around four key themes:
- Career progression
- Emotional Labour
Who is the network for?
Our network is open to all staff and postgraduate researchers at the University of Leeds.
We have over 1,000 members including early career researchers, technicians, professional services staff and lecturers.
Taking part in our activities is a great way to meet other people at the University.
How can I get involved?
Join the Women at Leeds Network Team to connect with university colleagues and explore shared issues relating to gender equality.
We record most of our events so you can watch them live or at another time that’s convenient for you.
Recent events have included: women and the world of Wikipedia, navigating through change and emotional labour at work.
Who runs the Women at Leeds Network?
The network’s activities are planned and organised by a committee made up of our members.
We have three co-chairs who are usually appointed for three years:
- Jacki Willson – Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures
- Hafsah Khalil – Corporate Services HR Hub
- Sarah Budello (part time)
- Tao Jiang (part time)
We’re always looking for people to plan events, develop ideas for campaigns and help build our community network.
You can join our committee if you’re interested in getting involved.
Please email us for more information or to join the network.
International Women's Day is a global celebration of the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also...
Women at Leeds Network annual conference – Part 1 Date: Tuesday 21 June 2022 Time: 12:00 – 14:00 Join via MS Teams link...
Make work better – workshop with Tailored Thinking Date: 3 May 2022 Time: 12:00 – 13:00 Join via MS Team link Online...