The University has made significant progress in advancing our staff and student equality and inclusion (E&I) priorities during the past five years.
However, to deliver on our staff inclusivity commitments further, we need accurate and up-to-date information. Therefore, we are asking all colleagues to update their equality data – such as gender, ethnicity and marriage/civil partnership status – on Employee Self Service by Friday 10 January 2020. This should take no more than five minutes.
A more complete dataset will benefit all the University community, and enable us to:
- better understand our workforce diversity at all levels
- develop more inclusive policies and services, and enable us to effectively support staff from all backgrounds
- report on pay gaps across all protected characteristics
- advance our disability, LGBT+, race and intersectionality priorities to support the delivery of the University’s Strategy; and
- undertake external obligations, like producing the REF2021 equality and inclusion analyses.
The information you provide will be strictly confidential. Individuals will not be identified; data will only be analysed and reported at aggregated levels and will not be visible in Manager Self Service. All information will be held safely and in compliance with the GDPR and Equality Act 2010.
The University has a statutory obligation to submit certain data to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). The categories used for data collection are aligned to the current HESA reporting requirements, so we can undertake effective sector benchmarking, evaluate our performance and determine our priorities. New questions are included and some new response options have been added; the majority of questions also have an option to state ‘I prefer not to answer’.
Please email the Equality Policy Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, queries or comments, or visit our webpage for frequently asked questions.